I’m a big believer in breakfast. I have never been the kind of person to skip it – even on the go. However, my fellow non-gluten eaters can sympathize with me when I tell you how hard it is to find a good GF breakfast bar! Glutino does offer a decent alternative to NutriGrain Bars but you can’t always find them in grocery stores and they aren’t terribly tasty. That’s why when I saw this recipe for granola bars, I had to try them!
3/4 cup peanut butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 large bananas, mashed
1/3 cup flax seed
3 cups oats
2 cups crunchy cereal (I used Corn Chex but gluten-eaters can use Grape Nuts or another super crunchy cereal since the freezer will soften whatever you use)
2 cups fresh strawberries, diced small (you can also substitute fresh fruit for dried fruit)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla, bananas and flax seed. Mix well.
2. Add oats and cereal. Stir until incorporated.
3. Fold in strawberries and chocolate chips.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour mixture. Using the back of a wooden spoon (or your fingers — its easier!) press the mixture evenly into the baking sheet.
5. Freeze overnight. In the morning, remove the granola from the pan and slice into bars. Wrap in mini ziplock bags individually and keep in freezer until ready to eat!
Now that each bar is individually wrapped, I can take one out of the freezer in the morning, throw it in my bag and go! Grab a 2nd for a great mid-day snack!